If your prints aren't printing correctly, you might want to look at what is happening with your extruder. I purchased filament for our snowflakes and I was getting burnt clumps in the printing.
Instead of thinking it was the extruder, I blamed the filament. But now after printing about 5 different projects with different filament, I finally pulled the extruder off only to find that it is extruding around the extruder head.
Lesson learned: Don't wait to investigate!
Time has come to say goodbye to the first 3D printer that took our school down the journey of 3D printing. After 1 year of good quality printing and 3 years of fixing and learning, it has become more work to get it to work. Farewell to a printer who launched our journey.... thank you to Donor's Choose and MakerBot for providing this printer to our school for $98 and changing so many students access to 3D printing. But now we must say goodbye ....
I hope that we will find a replacement to continue this journey. It is bittersweet that I say goodbye. It is like losing an old friend that has changed your life.
One idea that I would like to do with this design is to import the .stl file into Morphi on the iPad and have students draw on the blank bookmark or key. Stay tuned for my iteration of this awesome design by Mr. Kindergarten. Thank you Mr. Kindergarten for the inspiration!
This print I did in pieces. At first I made the mistake of trying to print the arrow without supports which will not work. I printed each arrow individually as they are a large arrow. Presently I have all of the pieces printed but removing the supports is not an easy task. I no longer have any nail on either of my thumbs so I will have to find a better way to remove the supports on the last 2 arrows. After you remove the supports, the design snaps together beautifully. This lesson has so many layers and I can definitely use this across all grade levels.
On the second print, I had warping even with the raft as well as when removing the supports, the connecting pieces became fragile and didn't connect instead one leg broke off. So I failed to be able to make this project work as I was unwilling to reprint both the leg and connector piece a second time.
This year we have been able to use a smaller dedicated area for a learning space and more in-depth investigations in 3D printing, electronics, circuitry, robotics, and more. The space is called the SP Innovation Lab and currently is open from Tuesday through Friday during second recess for our 4th and 5th graders. Our first group of 12 students started this week.
Using Google Classroom, students are learning about different resources that they can use on their iPads. Students are using MakerBot Print Shop. First they started with creating a design on paper and using the app to take a picture and create a 3D design. Tuesday and Wednesday have been days of design and exploration. Thursday and Friday will be the start of printing using the MakerBot and Cubes.
Today I was approached with an idea from one of our first grade teachers. He wanted to know if we could use 3D printing to support the study of insects that students learn about in grade one. I started to think about a new feature in the MakerBot PrintShop app called Shape Maker. So I started to play. Check out what we are going to be trying with our first graders.
Instructables donated 5 Makey Makeys for our students and parents to play and create. The banana piano, carrot piano, playdoh controller, dance mat, and interactive Minecraft EDU mat were big hits. Thanks to Max and Kyllan for finding a way to create an interactive mat so students could play Minecraft too.