Day 2 started with reviewing the important structures of the different communities as well as establishing expectations of how to work in a multiplayer world. The first time that I did this lesson, students started by designing their house. This was a big mistake as many students could spend weeks designing their house and this is not the purpose of the project.
So this time, we started by talking about how we would be using a blueprint of our community where each team would be writing what building they would be designing and who their team members were. This really helped as many structures took longer than one day or less than one day so students could refer back to what the rest of their team was building. It also gave students an opportunity to change their teams with different structures. The blueprint is just a simple large piece of white paper with the label of the community on it.
Our next step was to create a very basic list of expectations that we would need to build and work in our communities. This list was very basic and challenges would soon arise.
Challenges to be ready for:
- potions (disappearing, energy, etc)
- masks and armor
- flying around
It was determined that only building tools could be in the building tray and if a community member violated the expectations, they would be provided an alternative activity.
At this time no animals are enabled. The setting is creative, peaceful, and night is not enabled. I wanted students to have the materials that they needed to focus on designing the community in a collaborative space. At the end of the building day, I used the teacher menu to freeze students so that we could meet to share. One important part of the building process is sharing what went well. Each group was asked to share what was working well because I knew that soon we would be hitting more difficult challenges and I wanted to establish positive examples.