Creating the prototype is my favorite part of the LAUNCH cycle because it really provides a rich experience with problem solving. Sometimes it is the materials and access. Sometimes it is the design. But all of the challenges really help the designers stretch and flex in their ideas. I've found that when it comes to 3D printing that using Model Magic first really helps students to start in the concrete and move into the abstract of Tinkercad or Morphi.
For our Maker Night, I iterated a design by pilotneko from Thingiverse. Using the original star box design, I used Tinkercad to add a circle piece. I then sized it to fit the LED light and battery. I printed the design with sparkle PLA filament.
This week our second grade authors created more of their story while their fifth grade coauthor helped shape the original story. Last week each partnership designed their main characters using the draw feature in Morphi and uploading it directly to our Thingiverse account. The 3D printer printed non stop for several days bringing characters to life. The last touches were put on the characters using Sharpies to add color and detail. This activity was inspired by Karen Bosch and really helped both authors bond together over their story coming to life.
The story plan designed by Manuel Herrera is being used in paper form by our second graders and then the fifth grade partner is capturing the story into digital form prior to determining the final publishing format which many plan on using Bloxels.
Check out the hum of the groups as they work to create after having such powerful feedback from our Shark Tank.
This week was snowflake symmetry in our fourth grade classrooms at Stoner Prairie and Country View. Now the 3D printer prints nonstop snowflakes with clear glitter filament. This lesson I wrote for Thingiverse Education and now was able to teach in 4 different classrooms with one more to go. What a wonderful activity to integrate technology and math!
Here is the link to the complete lesson - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1976266
Time has come to say goodbye to the first 3D printer that took our school down the journey of 3D printing. After 1 year of good quality printing and 3 years of fixing and learning, it has become more work to get it to work. Farewell to a printer who launched our journey.... thank you to Donor's Choose and MakerBot for providing this printer to our school for $98 and changing so many students access to 3D printing. But now we must say goodbye ....
I hope that we will find a replacement to continue this journey. It is bittersweet that I say goodbye. It is like losing an old friend that has changed your life.
A lot of times when sharing about 3D printing, I don't always reveal the hours that have been absorbed in troubleshooting our devices. Reality is that 3D printing at the consumer level is sort of like what dot matrix printers are to printing today. We are at the beginning and many things will continue to evolve. But let's talk about the most common issues.... Website
The Problem: Extruder not Heating
The Materials Needed
Dismantling the Printer
Soldering the Wires
Finishing the Wire Connection
Checking the Solution
Our first graders have been doing research about what insects are and what they need to survive. Last week and today they took their art sketches of their selected insect and transferred it to a digital medium through the Morphi 3D app. Below is the tutorial that I used with our students to introduce them to Morphi and designing their insect.
After designing 3 versions of their insect, students selected between glow in the dark green or blue for the filament of their insects to be printed on our 3D printers. Soon the insects who have come to life will find a home in their habitats created in art class. Check out the complete lesson at www.thingiverse.com/thing:1677342